Saturday, May 6, 2017

THE ZEIGLER/BARLOW BARN: IN MEMORY OF BONNIE PARSONS HARRIS


PHOTO BY DARLISA BLACK @ STARLISA.NET

This is written in memory of Bonnie Parsons Harris
The barn where she played as a little girl

When family friend and  long time born and raised Glenwood resident Lela Ward knew I was interested in doing research on some of Glenwood's old barns, she gave me a slip of paper with page numbers and names.

The 1984 Glenwood School Annual featured eight photos of barns in the Glenwood area.  Lela and DeRowland Ward had taken Lela's Uncle Osmar Kuhnhausen for a drive and had him identify the barns by the names he called them.  Osmar was born in Glenwood in 1897, so by the time 1984 rolled around, he had been farming and ranching here for a while.

The first barn I picked from the  list, was the barn on the Zeigler Place.  That's what everyone calls it now.  "The Zeigler Barn".  But Uncle Osmar had it labeled "The Barlow Barn".  I had never heard the name Barlow connected with the Glenwood Valley, but I have only lived here 47 years, so I am a new comer.  I asked several local ranchers.  They had never heard the name Barlow.  I checked my 1913 Klickitat County Atlas.  By golly, there was the name I.H. Barlow listed on this 40 acre piece of property.  

1913


I googled Google about  I.H. Barlow.  A few references came up about an I.H. Barlow who had lived up in the Appleton area.  
I turned to my next best source of information for barns.   Hazel Bertschi Parsons.  Hazel was born 88 years ago to one of the early Glenwood homesteading families.  She now lives in White Salmon, where life is a little easier and her daughter Bonnie can help her with day to day activities.  Hazel has a sharp mind, but I wasn't sure she would remember me.  When she answered the phone, I said, "Hi Hazel, this is Laurene Eldred in Glenwood."  In her typical Hazel gruff voice, she said,  "I can see that."  
Ahhhh, Hazel uses Caller ID.  
"Well Hazel, I am doing some research on the old barn at the Zeigler place.  Osmar Kuhnhausen called it the Barlow Barn."
"That's right",  says Hazel.  "Uncle Barlow helped build that barn".

Wow!!  I knew Hazel was knowledgable about history in the area, but this was more than I had hoped for. 
A PROGRAM ABOUT THE BARLOW FAMILY AND BARN 
Sunday, May 7, 2017 the Camas Prairie Pioneer Association is having their bi-annual meeting.  President Joann Hutton asked me if I had any ideas for a program.  I suggested we have long time member, Hazel talk about her "Uncle Barlow,"  who was married to Anna Leaton.  The Leatons are another Glenwood Pioneer family.  
I called Hazel and asked her if she would do the main program, and tell us what she knew about "Uncle Barlow and the Barlow Barn?"  Yep, she would do it but Bonnie had to do the speaking for her.  
Hazel got the ball rolling.  She contacted a member of the Leaton family to come and give a presentation about the Leaton side of the family.
 Bonnie  called  to tell me her mom had contacted a member of the Zeigler family, who said she would come to the meeting and offered to give us a tour of the barn!  
Bonnie was excited about the tour.  The Parson family had lived on this farm, when Bonnie was a little girl, and she could remember playing in the barn. 

Thursday morning, May 4, I received the news that, gentle, soft spoken,  Bonnie had unexpectedly passed away.  Bonnie loved old barns.  She and I were making plans, now that spring was here, to take Hazel on a drive and learn about some of the old barns in the area.  I am so sorry to have missed that opportunity and I am so sorry that she missed the chance to visit the barn of her childhood. 

I suspect Hazel will not be at our Sunday Camas Prairie Pioneer potluck and meeting, so I am going to put down some of the information I have gathered on Uncle Barlow and Aunt Annie.  After the meeting  I should have more to add to the story of the Zeigler/Barlow Barn.  
=======================================================================

The first file for the land where the barn sits,  in Township 6 Range 12 E Section 27 was a homestead claim in 1893 by Charles (Karl) Kuhnhausen.  
Charles and Amelia were the parents of the many Kuhnhausens who settled in Glenwood/Camas Prairie.  Charles also applied for land in section 28 which is west of the barn, across the road on what most of us know as the Grubb or Gamble place.  I do not know which parcel Charles and Amelia's home sat on.  Charles passed away in 1899 or 1900.  In 1905 the estate is in probate and Amelia is granted the land and home.
I might also add that a Gessler or Geisler also applied for a homestead claim in both sections 27 and 28.  Mrs. Gessler was a half sister to Amelia Kuhnhausen

Amelia is in the center of this photo.  Charles has passed away.    
Osmar Kuhnhausen, who started this search, is in the front row, with big sister Sophie's arm around him.  



The 1913 map shows a home on both parcels.  
In 1913 I. H. Barlow owns the 40 acre piece in section 27 and William Kuhnhausen owns the land in section 28. 
I don't know what transactions take place between the time I. H. Barlow owns the land to ownership by the Zeigler family.



IRVING HERBERT BARLOW:                                          SARA ANNA LEATON BARLOW:
1849-1938                                                                                1854-1943 




I. H.  Barlow was born in Lansing Michigan.   Anna Leaton was born  in Lincolnshire, England.  Her family immigrated to the U. S. when Anna was three.  They were married in 1872,  moving west in 1886.  They spent some time in Kansas, before moving on to Portland,  then Hood River, then Appleton, where they took a pre-emption claim in Appleton.  Dates on their arrival, vary from 1888 to 1905.  I suspect the 1905 date is when they moved to Lyle.

They had never lived in the woods and they thought it was terrible.  

Mr. Barlow, who was a carpenter started a sawmill.  They brought their cattle, with no hay provisions, not realizing how much snow fell in Appleton.  They started the first post office in Appleton.  The winters were tough and after four years they sold, eventually moving to Lyle.  

According to the memories of Jennie Wright Stump, Mr. Barlow had been a dance teacher when living in Michigan.  During the long winters at Appleton, he would teach dancing to the young people.  She also recalls him directing the play, "Uncle Tom's Cabin", during the winter of 1890.

He built and owned a store in Lyle.  There is mention of him building several schools in the area.  

I have a Hood River 1903 newspaper clipping of Mrs. I. H. Barlow advertised as a dressmaker.



The Barlows raised an adopted son Reuben.  He passed away in Lyle at age 84 in 1958.  His obituary says he arrived in Lyle in 1896. 



UPDATE:
After the Camas Prairie Pioneer Meeting.

Hazel Parsons came to the meeting.  She said Bonnie would have wanted her to come.  She did not have a lot of memories of her Aunt and Uncle Barlow.  She just remembered sometimes visiting them.  When she and her family lived at the Barlow Barn place, she thinks Paul Ladiges owned it.  
Sylvia Holly gave an interesting history of the Leaton family.  We learned that the Barlows came first to Appleton/Missouri Flats.  The William Leaton family followed a year later.  William and Anna Barlow were brother and sister.  William and Addie Leaton and family moved down into the Camas Prairie/Glenwood Valley to begin ranching.  They purchased what I think was the Trenner and Hoult farms.  

Some of the children of the Leaton family married into local Glenwood families, including daughter Cassie, Hazel's mother.  

Laraine Zeigler Durham, the current owner of the Zeigler/Barlow barn came from the  Portland area to attend the meeting.  She said her family bought the farm from a man named Frank Lemon.  They came in 1950.  Her father was a mechanic for J. Neils Logging.  They left in 1958.  I don't remember what year she said she bought the farm back.  She has done a lot of structural work on the barn to straighten and stabilize it.  



No comments:

Post a Comment